[MPlayer-users] RE: Mencoder codec location

Terry Corbet tcorbet at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 18 22:54:14 CEST 2007

Henry, thanks for your reply/amplification of John's help.
01. The 'home' directory in which I installed the mplayer binary
has at this moment, and has from the start, had a directly
subordinate directory called codecs.
02.  The initial attempt to convert the wmv file to avi nicely
reported that I should go back and download the collection
of codecs because, indeed, as downloaded, the codec sub-
directory was empty.
03.  A comparision between the download of the most current
codecs bundle and the bundle that is included as 'windows-
essential' shows them to be quite comparable, but, in any case,
for the specific .dll that mencoder is requesting, exactly the
same version is available from either place, and is now, and
has been right in the codecs directory of the mplayer 'home'.
Yet, as the diagnostic messages seem to indicate, the program
fails to find that sub-directory implicitly, and I guess that is why
it next looks for whatever paths would be provided from a
codec.conf file if I knew that syntax.
04.  Is there some other trouble-shooting output I could provide
that would help us solve the problem?  Thank you.