[MPlayer-users] Re: Default subtitle font

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 02:28:27 CEST 2007

José Filipe <jofivigo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I get this error: "Cannot load bitmap font: Arial"
> I'm using mplayer -font 'Arial' file.mkv

You can use:

mplayer -font path/to/fontfile    # or
mplayer -fontconfig -font <font-name> # if fontconfig support is compiled in

If the font name has spaces, put double-quotes around it.

Sometimes the name may not be what you think. For example, I have an Adobe Type 1
font JohannesNormal.pfm (and .pfb). The name of the font is Johannes-Normal. The
"-" is apparently meaningful to fontconfig, so it uses the name Johannes\-Normal.

To use this font, I can run:
mplayer -font c:\windows\fonts\JohannesNormal.pfb or
mplayer -fontconfig -font Johannes\-Normal

If fontconfig is installed, you can run fc-list to get a list of font names.