[MPlayer-users] can't use dual core

Thu Apr 19 20:27:11 CEST 2007

Hi Henry Garcia!

 On 2007.04.19 at 13:16:29 -0400, Henry Garcia wrote next:

> -lavdopts threads=2
>
> That works for decoding with lavc on linux. Helps a little, not much.

Are you sure it ever helps at all? It doesn't seem that to me, at least
when decoding h264 and mpeg4. Haven't tested wmv3 and mpeg2, but I doubt
anything will change.

> Decoding for X264 you have to compile the x264 source code yourself  and

Huh? mplayer can't decode using x264! Maybe x264 supports decoding, but
mplayer can use only ffh264 and some windows codecs to decode h264
streams.

> x264. And then you should read the manual on how to use the threads when
> encoding. Decoding using the threads is very efficient using threads.

When encoding or when decoding?? Decoding using multiple threads /may/
be efficient, but it doesn't happen automatically, it should be
programmed (which can be hard to impossible). With ffmpeg, apparently it
isn't. And decoding using x264 is impossible too, at least with
mplayer..

--

Vladimir