[MPlayer-users] "Cannot seek backward in linear streams!" / Windows / Ulead capture

Joseph remid0d0s0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:02:42 CEST 2007

I have the most recent build of MPlayer for Windows that I can get my
hands on (rc1 3.4.2), on XP 64-bit AMD 4800 X2. I am trying to make
some decent encodings (for DVD mostly) of some captures from an ATI
All-in-Wonder.

I've already tried VirtualDub for capture - with some problems (see
below) - so I've been trying Ulead Video Studio 10 (the trial
version). It will capture 720x480 huffyuv with no dropped frames just
fine. I'd like to do some processing on the captures with mplayer, but
when I feed it one of the ulead AVI captures, it complains:

... Badly interleaved AVI file detected - switching to -ni mode...
Cannot seek backward in linear streams!: ...

There's nothing special about the command lines I'm trying.

If I use -nosound, the stream will transcode ... but ... the % showed
is incorrect, and transcoding stops after (in this case) about 90
seconds of source material.

It seems that it doesn't know how long the stream actually is. Is
there a command line option to tell it "just go to the end of the
(AVI) file no matter what you think it is"?

Obviously, what I'd like to do is transcode the source material into
my format of choice (mpeg2) without having to remux the audio.

The (huffyuv) stream from VirtualDub seems to behave the same - in
this case the AVI stream seems to be interleaved in a more palatable
way, and -oac copy works fine, but transcoding still stops at a
arbitrary point a couple or four minutes after the beginning of the
stream.

Ideas?