[MPlayer-users] mencoder error on 2nd pass with x264

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Apr 28 22:17:13 CEST 2007

Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, RC wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>>
>>> bitrate=512:subq=4:pass=1:turbo=1:threads=4
>>>
>>> bitrate=512:subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:pass=2:threads=4
>> It's rarely a good idea to change options between passes.
>
> No, it's recommended to change options between passes, except for a few
> which have to remain the same. What's not recommended is to both use turbo
> and change the other options, because that's redundant.

Don't know if it's gonna help, but ATM I re-encoded the long video
single-pass with lavc and unlimited bitrate (which required more than
5GB @ 2.7Mbit/s) and now I'm reencoding this video with x264. In 4 hours
I'll know more (since the 2nd pass does not run faster than 30 frames/s
@ AMD X2 3800... The first pass still is at 110 fps though :)

I'll keep you posted.