[MPlayer-users] Segfault core dump over innocently missing GLX

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Aug 5 14:06:31 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 05:07:36PM -0700, debcoder at trashymail.com wrote:
> Bug report on a segfault core dump.  Missing GLX support is not handled
> gracefully.  (Regardless of GLX, mplayer should play audio.)  MPlayer
> 1.0~rc1-14 from Debian unstable (roughly, Etch++).  Sorry I do not have
> time to test your subversion.

Disabling GLX does not cause any problems at all for me, it only causes
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> [gl] no GLX support present
> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

You can still use -vo null.

> VLC has the same bug, described here:
> http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39658

I doubt that is the same bug, unless it is a bug somewhere else in your
system.

> My xorg.conf disables GLX completely, on purpose, to make nVidia work.

"make work"? That breaks the almost only thing that speaks for the
nVidia driver, namely 3D support. Can't you just use the OpenSource
driver then? Also the 96xx drivers are quite outdated (at least it would
be by MPlayer standards - but that is admittedly also true for your
MPlayer version).
In addition we provide only limited to no support for distribution
builds, most have a) very outdated versions b) some custom patches.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger