[MPlayer-users] no main audio channel

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Aug 13 21:20:41 CEST 2007

E. Hakan Duran wrote:
>> That sounds to me like you're hearing a multi-channel audio track on two
>> speakers without any downmixing. I suspect somewhere in your config file
>> is a line that says "channels=6" (or similar). Remove it.
>>

> Yes, indeed it solved the problem, but I actually do have a 5.1 speaker system
> from logitech and I really do not prefer to downmix. Now, do you think it is
> the soundcard driver that fails to distribute channels to the appropriate
> speakers? I use an onboard Intel sound card which uses snd-hda-intel kernel
> module and driver. I understand that this is a bit out of scope for this list
> but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hard to say; your original description sounded like you're hearing
either front-left/front-right or rear-left/rear-right. Can you identify
which? Usually, music plays in the front pair.

Check your mixer settings and make sure the other channels aren't muted
or low-volume.

You still need to post the full output of "mplayer -channels 6 ...".
Otherwise, I have to guess at what's going on.

-Corey