[MPlayer-users] Two general questions about mplayer

Malte Skoruppa malte at countnumber.de
Fri Aug 17 13:30:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been using mplayer for quite a few years now and I find it to be
THE best movie player out there! :-)

I've been wondering lately about how the development is going on... are
there some plans about when the 1.0 final release shall be released? Is
mplayer still being developed actively? I'm just asking because new
releases seem to be quite rare, overall... no criticism intended ;-)

Also, the only thing I find mplayer to be lacking is dvd menu support,
as I find it somewhat annoying to have to "guess" the right track number
you want to watch, especially on dvds which have 30+ titles. I've
googled a bit and many people seem to miss this feature, although nobody
can tell whether at all or when it might be implemented. Do you guys
have any insights about this? Are there possibly inofficial patches for
mplayer somewhere out there in the internet to add dvd menu support to
mplayer, for the time being (I googled, and I didn't find any; but you
never know...). As for now I'm using the VLC player for DVDs, and
mplayer for anything else. But it would be great if I could switch to
mplayer completely :-)

Cheers,
Malte