[MPlayer-users] Two general questions about mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Aug 17 19:04:19 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 06:52:13PM +0200, Malte Skoruppa wrote:
> > That's partly from lack of manpower and partly a result of a
> > philosophical decision. For MPlayer, unlike many other projects, it is
> > actively expected - and, indeed, required for the submission of bug
> > reports - that ordinary users will be running the latest development
> > version, compiled from the publicly accessible SVN tree.
> >
> All right, then. Maybe I'll start using the SVN version, although it
> would be nice if there was a portage overlay or something built from the
> SVN version (I'm using Gentoo), because I usually like to keep my system
> clean and prefer not to install too many things manually.

Gentoo already provides ebuilds for SVN versions - not the very latest,
but at least reasonably recent ones.

> > (...)
> > I actually don't know. There has been quite a bit of progress on DVDs
> > since the last release, with the addition (and/or expansion?) of support
> > for dvdnav, but I do not remember to what extent if any it has had to do
> > with menus.
> >
> In any case, there is no dvd menu support in mplayer... or I would be
> quite surprised ;-)

Well, _something_ already works with dvdnav... Not sure what exactly
though. And it requires our forked dvdnav. So definitely neither ready
nor useful to the average user.

[...]
> Given that then very reason I want to have a DVD menu is that I don't
> want to guess track numbers, this is going out of the frying pan and
> into the fire ;-)

Well, the easiest way to avoid that guessing is making is script that
uses e.g. lsdvd to find the longest track. Some of the MPlayer frontends
might be able to do it as well.

> Furthermore, I couldn't find a way to "get back" to the main menu, once
> I had chosen a track to play from the DVD menu.

I'd expect there is some keybind for this, try 5 and 7 on the numeric
keypad.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger