[MPlayer-users] mplayer crashes on Windows Vista system

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Aug 18 14:47:14 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 01:45:32PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 August 2007 at 13:08, verykang wrote:
> >  When I play some rmvb files on Vista, Mplayer often crashes after a
> > while. But I can play them well with Mplayer of the same version on Win2000
> > or XP.
>
> Since it's happening only on Vista, maybe it's related to the artificial 32MB
> malloc() limit for applications not using Win32 API:
> http://www.trnicely.net/misc/vista.html

I think that's for DOS/DPMI programs and does not apply at all to MPlayer.
Anyway it is not only a Vista problem, since I have tested MPlayer on
Vista and had no real problems (some performance issues though).
With rmvb (at least if it only happens with rmvb) one important question is of course:
1) which codecs
2) if it is using binary codecs, make sure you have and use those from the
download page and not any that maybe a RealPlayer installation created.

Full mplayer -v output and other things mentioned in bugreports.html are
necessary if you want anything except wild guesses though...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger