[MPlayer-users] Scaling problems on Windows

Robert Jenks rjenks at animefest.org
Mon Aug 20 04:54:18 CEST 2007

I'm having a problem getting MPlayer (rc1) on windows to scale down
video properly.   In this particular case I am trying to scale video to
the best fit within a 480x360 rectangle.  I am using the following
command line:

C:\> mplayer -noborder -slave -osdlevel 0 -zoom -geometry 640:135 -x 480
-y 360 preview.avi
...snip...
VO: [directx] 640x480 => 480x360 Planar YV12   [zoom]

The problem is, the video ends up being display at 560x360.  If the
video I am trying to play is smaller than 480x360 it scales up to
480x360 exactly.  If the video is larger and needs to be scaled down,
the video is always 80 pixels wider than it's supposed to be.  In fact,
if I pass in "-x 400" it plays correctly at 480 pixels wide.  Also, I
tried this on three different computers and got three different
results.  In all cases it had problems scaling a video down, but it was
not always off by 80 pixels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I am trying to get this ready
for a convention in less than two weeks to run the video theaters.

-Robert