[MPlayer-users] How to force SSA subtitles size to constant one ?

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 16:55:01 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Παναγιώτης Κατσαλούλης wrote:
> On 14 Αυγ 2007, at 1:37 ΜΜ, Παναγιώτης
>
> Κατσαλούλης wrote:
> > First of all, sorry for the delay, but gmail insists that your
> > email is spam, and I have to periodically check my spam folder to
> > retrieve your email :P
> >
> > On 11 Αυγ 2007, at 11:40 ΜΜ, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote:
> >> Try this patch. It will also print font sizes as they are passed
> >> to FreeType.<1.patch>_______________________________________________
> >
> > I applied this patch (which seems to disable font calculation :P )
> >
> > With this patch, the font size is as expected. It has exactly the
> > same size with the OS metrics and what mplayer displays without the
> > -ass parameter.
> >
> > I don't know how much importance is compatibility with OS/2  or
> > with VSFilter (since font size is again autoscaled depending video
> > size), but I believe it is much straight forward to support same
> > font sizes with the underneath platform, than what VSFilter does.
> >
> > Test performed on Linux.
>
> I am thinking... since with this patch things work more as expected,
> is there any possibility to propagate this patch to the main build
> tree, somehow?

Right now, font sizes in libass are exactly like VSFilter's. Both scaling
dependent on video height and this patch _unapplied_ are required to keep
this compatibility. It is important, because SSA/ASS subtitles come with
predefines font sizes, and it is natural to display them as they were
intended to be displayed.

I could add an option to disable this compatibility hack, but is it really
that important for font sizes to be exactly as in other applications ? And
then, I won't be implementing size scaling with movie height or diagonal for
quite some time. You think the patch is useful even without this ?