[MPlayer-users] dfbmga scaling and interlaced video

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 23:58:57 CEST 2007

I've been given a DVD which was made on a DVD recorder which has rather
badly butchered the picture: the overall picture size is 352x576 but
with borders all round so for full-screen playback it needs cropping
(crop=288:352:22:112), but it is anamorphic. It's also interlaced with
the fields in each frame not being from the same frame in the original
even though it was a PAL movie, so I don't really know how the DVD
recorder managed to do that.

Anyway, I wanted to play it full-screen on my (PAL) TV with the dfbmga
driver, but I couldn't get the scaling to be done without ruining the
interlacing. I tried scale=720:576:1 of course, but then the dfbmga
driver would scale it to some rather unpredictable value I guess it had
calculated based on the movie's original aspect ratio, the cropping and
monitor aspect setting before the graphics card would presumably then
scale it back down to 720x576. To get rid of this unwanted extra scaling
I had to calculate a fudged value for the -aspect option and even then
it was making the hardware scaler squash the picture horizontally until
I tricked it with -monitoraspect 4:3. So I eventually got there, but it
took me so long I didn't have time to watch the film any more!

So is there a way to force the dfbmga driver not to do this extra
scaling and just use the 720x576 I was feeding it? I tried -noaspect but
it didn't have the desired effect. Or could the scaling done by the
dfbmga driver be made interlace-friendly?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk