[MPlayer-users] Suggested Low Bitrate Encoding Options

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Aug 26 21:15:40 CEST 2007

RC wrote:
> I'd really like a large vqcomp for fast reaction, but ratecontrol goes
> screwy.  I seriously considered rewriting the ratecontrol equation for a
> while there, when I was fighting with it.

Try vrc_eq="(tex+10^8*mcVar)^0.6". That's my current favorite, and,
though it isn't particularly tuned, it works well enough for me.
High-motion scenes should look much better and low-motion scenes should
look very slightly worse (that's the tradeoff).

Some old tests:
http://fatooh.org/ratecontrol/

-Corey