[MPlayer-users] MPlayer crash?

Piotr Stachura albert1 at autocom.pl
Thu Aug 30 09:03:56 CEST 2007

Dnia czwartek, 30 sierpnia 2007, Chris Arnold napisał:
> Piotr Stachura wrote:
> > Isn't that your problem? I think that you have a permission problem.
> > Check if playing file using root account will bring that error (which
> > shouldn't be possible).
>
> Using mplayer GUI as root encountered the same problem.

I will be rude and say, that you can delete "as root" and this sentence will
be also good. Anyway, when you have strange problems, sometimes running as
root will tell you if that's your or application problem.

> > Isn't XGL using DirectFB?? If that's right then mayby XGL changes
> > permission to fb or locking it? Did you try to play file using -vo xv ??
> > Since it's accelerated it should be a good choice.
>
> Here is that log as a user with mplayer -vo xv mov1ed.mpg command:
> MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

> Playing mov1ed.mpg.
> MPEG-PS file format detected.
> VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  8400.0 kbps (1050.0
> kbyte/s) Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Funny, I understand that error is correct for your logs as root (read below)
but it looks like, your mplayer isn't compiled with xv support!
Does command "mplayer -vo help" lists this output? If no, then recompile
mplayer (first install devel packages for x.org and after configure check if
this output is marked to compile).

> Here is user with gmplayer -vo xv mov1ed.mpg command:
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

> VO: [xv] 720x480 => 720x540 Planar YV12
> [ws] Error in display.
> [ws]  Error code: 2 ( BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation) )
> [ws]  Request code: 12
> [ws]  Minor code: 0
> [ws]  Modules: decode_video

Here it's clear that gmplayer shourtcut is linked to ANOTHER mplayer binary
(check first line with version and compiler). This version seams to be
compiled with xv support but... mayby it's so old that it's compiled against
your current version of xv.
I preffer someone with more experience to put his 3 cents.

> Here is root user with mplayer -vo vx mov1ed.mpg command:
> MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

> kbyte/s) Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

> Here is root user with gmplayer -vo vx mov1ed.mpg command:
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

> kbyte/s) Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

That outputs are useless since -vo vx doesn't exist!!

--
Piotr Stachura