[MPlayer-users] SVN compiling problem

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:27:06 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> Finally I've got a chance to try to build MPlayer once again... and I've got
> some errors while compiling:
>
> First one occurs, when I compile NASM package (the latest one available):
>
> ===========><8=============
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... ./configure: eval: line 1: unexpected
> EOF while looking for matching `"'
> ./configure: eval: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> no
> ===========><8=============
>
> BTW, the same is happening when I compile OGG, VORBIS, etc., but those
> packages are installed (for the first look) OK, whereas NASM gives error
> while making, saying that nasm.exe is not found.
>
> Here I think that something is incorrect in the package, and am going into
> the configure.log file. And here is what I see there:
>
> ===========><8=============
> configure:2154: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:2: parse error before "me"
> configure:2160: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | #ifndef __cplusplus
> |   choke me
> | #endif
> ===========><8=============
>
> Does anybody know what it could be?
>
> Also I've tried to compile the latest (08/29) SVN, and here is what I've
> got:
>
> ===========><8=============
> $ ./configure --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-static
> Detected operating system: MINGW32
> Detected host architecture: i386
> Checking for cc version ... not found
> Checking for gcc version ... 3.2.3, ok
> Checking for host cc ... gcc
> Checking for cross compilation ... no
> Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... i486
> Checking for assembler support of -pipe option ... yes
> Checking for compiler support of named assembler arguments ... yes
> Checking for assembler
> (c:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2.3/../../../../mingw32/bin/as.exe
> 2.13.90) ... failed (Upgrade binutils to 2.16.92 or use --disable-ssse3
> etc.)
>
> Error: obsolete binutils version
>
> Check "configure.log" if you do not understand why it failed.
> ===========><8=============
>
> What are binutils and where can I find the updated version?
>
> Also I'd like to understand -- whether can I just download the svn and
> compile it without preliminary installation of all those libs like are
> enumerated in the MINGW-HOWTO doc? Or all these libs are required? If
> they're required, then why not to supply the SVN with them? At least with
> their versions, definitely working with the latest SVN? It would simplify
> the SVN installation a lot! I have in mind do not include these libs into
> SVN itself, but just to upload one archive with ALL required libs to the
> website, where SVN is now available, as bz2. How is such idea for you?
>
> Appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks.

The MINGW-HOWTO doc is way outdated, Someone needs to update it.

Putting all the libs into one package will make it huge and hard to
maintain, not to mention many are optional.
Your MinGW install is quite old.

Anyway, the new tools are available here, get the .tar.gz packages

You can use MinGW-5.1.3.exe to automatically install W32API 3.10,
mingw-runtime-3.13, GCC 3.4.2 and binutils 2.16 which are considered
more stable than snapshot builds. The configure eval problem is possibly
caused by a bug in bash, use the snapshot bash 3.1, also from the above
site.

I wasn't aware that Mplayer uses nasm!? Does it?

Hope that helps.