[MPlayer-users] Lost functionality

Niclas Fredriksson niclas at acc.umu.se
Sun Dec 2 14:24:33 CET 2007

I've been using mplayer for years now and always loved it. Lately I've had
some problems viewing some wmv and nsv videos that work fine in VLC so I
decided to download the latest version (MPlayer 1.0rc1 Windows). It works
fine, but I seem to have lost some functionality that I enjoyed in
previous mplayer versions. I'm sure it's still there and that it's just
been moved, but I just can't find it any more.

The first thing I noticed is that right clicking on the video (while it's
playing) does nothing in this latest version ("No bind found for key
'MOUSe_BTN2'). In my previous version right clicking would cycle through
different onscreen information (one click would show length of video
("01:12/45:29"), two clicks would show the same but in percentage ("01:12
(2%), three clicks would disable all on screen info and four clicks would
bring it back to the normal mode (showing on screen info when avaliable)).
I liked that info because it made it easy for me to keep track of where in
the video file I currently am, and it was a quick way for me to see
exactly how long the video is when I start it.

The second thing I noticed is clicking the "maximize window" on the top
right (Windows OS) does the same as f (fullscreen). In my old version,
clicking the "maximize window" button would make the video screen as big
as it could be without necessarily making it cover the entire screen. Most
videos would cover about 75% of my screen (because of the x/y pixel ratio
the screen will maximize horizontally before it maximizes vertically). I
liked that because then I would be able to bring out other windows over my
mplayer window and do other things while the video ran in the background.
In order to do that now I need to resize the window manually (drag'n'drop)
which takes a lot longer.

The third big thing I noticed is the video shows through other windows. A
lot of other applications have some things in them that become see through
when brought over the mplayer window, which never happened in my old
version of mplayer. That makes it really hard to have other windows over
my mplayer window doing other stuff while having a video showing in the
background.

So is there any way to fix these annoyances that I've found in the 1.0rc1
Windows version or do you recommend that I try out the old versions
(http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/) until I find the one that did
what I wanted it to do?

--
Niclas