[MPlayer-users] Performance Problem on Playing Video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Dec 4 21:52:03 CET 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 10:30:22AM -0800, Nan Null wrote:
> When I play DVD, it works fine.  However, when play mpeg2 or mpeg4, sometimes, it's dragging its feet (slow, stop for a fraction of a seconds).

stopping is not normal, slowly increasing desync is. Do you maybe have
framedrop enabled?

> This happens at 1080p.  However, for lower resolution such as 720p, it works fine.  This is a 2.6 Pentium 4, 1 Gig RAM system.  It runs on the latest released version of MPlayer, and other libraries.
>
> Is it normal for machines with this spec to perform like that or I have missed something here.  Is there a way to improve this some how?  Thanks.

I have yet to see a Pentium 4 system really suitable for proper HD playback,
that Intel could sell so many of them is a clear sign of the utter
incompetence of the average computer buyer, though video decoding is
especially discouraging (if you manage to use Intel's compiler that
might _slightly_ improve things though).
Though there are a few things you can try: different graphics drivers
(including -vo xvidix, note this needs special permissions, e.g. by
running as root), -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc for MPEG2 if your graphics
card supports it, different values for -cache, including -nocache,
-autosync 30, -dr, -noslices, -lavdopts fast , the last three for MPEG2
in combination with -vc ffmpeg12 and possibly more I forgot...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger