[MPlayer-users] rc2 subtitle mess-up

Pál, János ioannes.pavlvs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:27:36 CET 2007

2007/12/9, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>:

> On Saturday, 08 December 2007 at 19:27, Pál, János wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just downloaded the new MPlayer 1.0 rc2 binary for Windows. I'm using
> > Win2k.
> > I tried a film with Hungarian subtitles, and saw that some letters with
> > accents get messed up. At first I thought it was only because of the new
> > font, so I set it back to good old Arial.
> > Unfortunately the bug still remained - although previous versions didn't
> > have it. I haven't tried it on other operating systems yet.
>
> My guess is that you're using an incorrect charset for reading the
> subtitle
> files.
>
> Regards,
> R.
>
> --
> MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu
> http://rpm.livna.org
> There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and
> oppression to develop psychic muscles.
>         -- from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

but these scrambled characters are all in the basic Western European
charset: ISO-8859-1. They should display fine. In Win2k you can't set the
non-unicode programs charset to anything else - if I'm correct.
I looked at the manpage to see what I can do about it. I couldn't find the
relevant setting.

Can you help me on this?

Thanks,
J.