[MPlayer-users] Very slow seeking in DVD with 1.0rc2 - caused by "near-precise seeking"?

Christian Lohmaier cloph at openoffice.org
Wed Dec 12 18:50:49 CET 2007

Hi *,

I upgraded to 1.0rc2 today and will have to switch back to 1.0rc1 if
there's no solution for the following problem:

Seeking in DVDs is very, very slow compared to 1.0rc1, where
seeking was almost instant.
Forwarding a minute doesn't make sense, when you wait for a
minute until playback continues at the new position.

The problematic DVDs are created by a DVD-"VCR".
I also tested with two retail-DVDs and those didn't suffer from
that problem, seeking was acceptable there.

So is there a way to get the "imprecise but fast" seeking again?
Or might the problem be buried elsewhere?

When playing the problematic DVDs I get

*** Zero check failed in ifo_read.c:436
    for vmgi_mat->zero_3 = 0x00000000010000000000000000000000000000

So apparently the DVDs are not fully-compatible/not what mplayer
so it might even be possible to detect this error-case and default
to the non-precise seeking in that case.

Hope that is enough information, if not: Don't hesitate for further
info.

ciao
Christian