[MPlayer-users] dumpstream with some DVD: infinite loop?

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Thu Dec 13 18:17:10 CET 2007

Il Thursday 13 December 2007 18:10:06 Matt Garman ha scritto:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 11:32:11PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Il Wednesday 12 December 2007 20:33:40 Matt Garman ha scritto:
> > > I like to pull the main feature off DVDs, usually using
> > > something like this:
> > >
> > >     mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile dumpfile.vob
> > >
> > > This generally works perfectly.
> > >
> > > However, on occassion, this process does not complete on its
> > > own; it runs either until the hard drive is full, or the
> > > process is killed manually.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm
> > > guessing it's a peculiarity of the way the DVD was mastered.
> > > Any workaround?
> >
> > unlikely. what title is it?
>
> Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Are you sure the file keeps on growing? or is it simply blocked
because of bad sectors? dmesg will tell you if there are
reading messages; otherwise try to install dvdnav as explained in
DOCS/tech/dvdnav-howto.txt and reconfigure mplayer
with --disable-dvdread-internal, then rerun the usual command.
Is there any difference?