[MPlayer-users] VOB Seek Issue

Sara Glade saraglade at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 01:01:23 CET 2007

> Can someone seriously take this challenge germane to my original
> question?
>
> Here is what I have (to recap)
>
> Ok, if I use dumpstream to create a VOB, ... it creates a 4+ GB
> file from my movies.
>
> Like: outputtedfile.vob (4.2 GB single file)
>
> Ok, the problem is, when I try to play it using Mplayer, like:
> mplayer outputtedfile.vob .... the "Seek Backward" function does
> not work. :( :( :( Why is this?  Is there some way, --anyway--- to
> make VOB file so that such VOB file retains its rewind capability?
>
>  :)
>
> anyone know?
>

>> Nico Sabbi <Nicola.Sabbi <at> poste.it> writes:
>>
>> won't you be using windows? IIRC in cygwin or/and mingw32
>> (unix systems that can host mplayer) files > 4 GB can't be accessed.
>> If you trim your file to something shorter as with the command:
>> $ dd if=file.orig of=dest.mpg bs=1024 count=2048000
>> and seek in dest.mpg you shouldn't have that problem. Can you confirm?

Yep -- I am in 100% Windows XP.  :-)  I am hoping to retain VOB creation from DVD without down-conversion to MPEG if possible.

Using the mplayer's built in -Dumpstream command, I can easily create a single big VOB file from my personal movie DVDs... however same MPLAYER does not allow me to seek backwards to that created VOB file. :-(  Maybe there is some different way to dumpstream the VOB file?, .... or some different way to play it?  -- or something else I can do to create VOB output files from my DVD's, that retains ability to search-video backwards & forwards properly?? :-) :-)

best regards