[MPlayer-users] Mplayer support of RTSP

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Dec 21 13:25:15 CET 2007

Hi!

Changzhou Wang <changzhouwang <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Can anyone share some insights about mplayer's support on RTSP? In
> particular,

I can only comment on MPlayers live555 support for rtsp streams, there is also
nemesi - http://live.polito.it/ - and a native implementation.

> (1) whether pausing mplayer (especially in slave mode) actually will
> send pause request to the streaming media server (RTSP compliant,
> such as live555)?

No: It's easy to implement, but doesn't support single frame steps well.

> (2) whether skip command actually send the request with a new RANGE
> parameter to ask the server to skip the designated amount of time?

I'm not sure I understand you: Seeking in rtsp streams is not implemented if you
use the live555 implementation (in case that was your question) - I can send you
a patch (actually a hack) that works most of the time, if you are interested.

For more information, I suggest you test yourself and look into the source code.

Carl Eugen