[MPlayer-users] subtitles not working?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 20:29:27 CET 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 1:21 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 6:41 PM, Evgeniy Stepanov <eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 December 2007 02:50:20 Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) "Video", -vid 0
> > > ==> Found audio stream: 2
> > > [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3) "Finnish (AC3)", -aid 0, -alang fin
> > > [mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8), -sid 0, -slang und
> > > [mkv] Will play video track 1.
> > > Matroska file format detected.
> >
> > Normally you should see "[mkv] Will display subtitle track 2" before the last
> > quoted line. No idea why it is not working. Try '-sid 0' instead of '-slang',
> > also try switching subs with 'j'.
>

> hrm, well I'm using this on my myth frontend, so i have a wrapper
> script to choose the subtitle language "automagically" which requires
> "slang" so I can just use "eng" when the default language isn't "eng".
> I'll try using "j" to see if its just a setup config problem. strange
> that the ubuntu package works.
>
> I'll also try Ulion's ideas.
>
> thanks guys!

it looks like the script i wrote is causing the issue. for some reason
the command line i'm sending mplayer is causing the subtitles to not
show. if i temporarily have the script just execute
mplayer -slang und,eng,en $1 the subtitles work.

whereas with the script,mplayer gets
CommandLine: '/MythTV/videos/Movies.HDTV/Letters From Iwo Jima.mkv' '
-slang und,eng,en'
which doesn't work.

it looks like in trying to pass options to mplayer in the BASH script
mplayer isn't seeing the options as options but as a file being
passed:

"get_path(' -slang und,eng,en.conf') -> '/home/mythtv/.mplayer/ -slang
und,eng,en.conf'

Playing  -slang und,eng,en.
get_path('sub/') -> '/home/mythtv/.mplayer/sub/'
File not found: ' -slang und,eng,en'
Failed to open  -slang und,eng,en.
"

so instead of putting the -slang arguement in a variable that gets passed like:
mplayer $FILENAME $LANGOPTIONS $MPOPTIONS

I'm just going to create an IF statement that runs it like:
mplayer $FILENAME $MPOPTIONS -slang und,eng,en

thanks,
--
Steve