[MPlayer-users] problems with dvdnav

vdmsss vdm_sss at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 22:08:35 CET 2007

Hi Carl Eugen, thanks for your reply.

On 28 Dec 2007, at 19:41, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> vdmsss <vdm_sss <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> mplayer dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1
>
> This is simply not how dvdnav://, dvd:// and similar mplayer
> playback paths
> work. There are no devices (or device paths) expected behind the
> second slash
> but title numbers.
>
> Is the man-page misleading about this? If you think so, please
> propose a
> change.

No, in fact the man page is clear. However confusion is likely to
arise because the form "protocol" :// "path"  is essentially a
standard. Worse, VLC and dvdnav use the "dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1" for
exactly that purpose (just google it and you'll find many hits). Even
more confusion because if I run from / or if I add another / as in
"dvdnav:////dev/rdisk1" (four /) then mplayer does not complain, just
plays the disk from the main title as expected.

So it appears that mplayer allows that form, it just parses it wrong.
If mplayer wants to disallow it, that's fine too I think, but again
the leading / should not disappear: it should say eg "/dev/rdisk1 is
not a title number" rather that "can't stat dev/rdisk1"

Cheers.