[MPlayer-users] rc2 subtitle mess-up

Pál, János ioannes.pavlvs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 19:46:24 CET 2007

2007/12/9, Pál, János <ioannes.pavlvs at gmail.com>:

> 2007/12/9, Ulion <ulion2002 at gmail.com>:

> > using
> > with
> > the new
> > didn't

> > Irulan
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > but these scrambled characters are all in the basic Western European
> > > charset: ISO-8859-1. They should display fine. In Win2k you can't set
> > the
> > > non-unicode programs charset to anything else - if I'm correct.
> > > I looked at the manpage to see what I can do about it. I couldn't find
> > the
> > > relevant setting.
> > >
> > > Can you help me on this?
> > >

> > What's the value of subcp set in your config file or command line?
> > Can you attach the srt?
> >
> > --
> > Ulion
>

> Okay, so this is the option I was looking for. I didn't look at the man
> page carefully enough. :) Thanks very much!
> When explicitly giving -subcp iso-8859-1 (or actually for Hungarian it's
> best to use iso-8859-2) everything displays as it should. How can I tell
> what code page the default detection finds?
> Earlier I didn't set anything myself. Everything was left on default, the
> subtitle file name is the same as the movie file name, so it automatically
> loaded it and detected its format - and I suppose the code page as well.
> After starting I have these lines:
> SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
> SUB: Read 837 subtitles.
> SUB: Added subtitle file (1): ./some_movie.srt
>
> Nothing about the code page here.
> I'll include the subtitle file anyway - in case it's beneficial for
> someone:
> http://fotojani.extra.hu/mplayer_bug/some_movie.srt
>
> Cheers and thanks again,
> J.

Hi again!

Just a small note. I tried rc2 under WinXP too and it's the same. No matter
what I set the default code page to, any Hungarian subtitle will only
display right if I add the following lines to my config (or similar stuff to
the command line):

font=c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
subcp=iso-8859-2

The first because the included subfont.ttf doesn't contain 2 sole Hungarian
letters (ő/Ő, ű/Ű). I'm thinking of hacking it just for fun. :)
The second one because of the wrong code page detection. Too bad this
functionality isn't present any more. Does anyone know why it disappeared in
the new release?

Cheers,
J.