[MPlayer-users] MP4 container question [SOLVED]

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 05:55:36 CET 2007

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 04:22:50 -0400
Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok but what I'm trying to say is that if should say "MP4 format
> detected" when  in fact is mp4 and not a mov (even though the same
> demuxer is being used.)

Most MPlayer/Mencoder output is for debugging purposes, not for
educating users.  To MPlayer, they are MOV files, and it's important to
know what demuxer it is using (when something doesn't work).

There are many other situations where the same is true.  wmv/wma files
are actually just renamed ASF files.  ogm/ogv are both OGG files.  ra/rm
are both exactly the same.  etc.

With codecs there are even more examples, ffodivx is used to play any
MPEG-4 ASP video, while MSMPEG-4 is used to play (old) Divx3 files.
mp3lib/ffmp3 are used to play MP1 and MP2 audio (in addition to MP3).
"WMV9" is actually wmv3 and MPlayer shows them as such.  Quicktime
(6?) videos are svq3, but Quicktime users likely don't know that.  et
al.

You need to know a lot of the technical details to reconcile the MPlayer
output with the more popular marketing terminology.  I would
suggest not even trying, as it's generally unimportant.  Further,
there's really no good reason for including or reporting such marketing
terminology in MPlayer.  Multimedia isn't remotely the only situation
where you have to deal with such naming conflicts.