[MPlayer-users] dumpstream with specific language and subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Feb 1 19:20:00 CET 2007

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to rip a DVD, wich has 4 audio languages and several subtitles.
> I would like do rip it (dumpstream) in one particular language and one
> particular subtitle, in order to learn the langage a funny way.
>
> I made test with mplayer/dumpstream/slang/alang and aid/sid, but no way, the
> ripped video has no subtitles and is in german.
>
> Shoudl I try with mencoder? what option to provide then?
>
> Thank you for your help.

ripping a DVD does include all the data found on the disc. specifying
-aid -sid with dumpstream is useless.

Use -aid and -sid (!not -alang or -slang!) with the dumped file, and
everything works fine.

As for how to create another DVD with only the language I don't know how
(but maybe someone else on this list knows how, but you can also google
for DVDauthor and some mpeg* tools and whatever)

If you're only interested in the movie and only one language, you can
also reencode the video, where you have to specify one language and even
a subtitle (if you're going to burn it in). If you want to retain
multi-language and subtitles-on-demand, you're better off with Matroska
or some other containers, but again, I've no experience with them.

hth,
Alex