[MPlayer-users] dumpstream with specific language and subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Feb 1 21:29:33 CET 2007

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> On Thursday 01 February 2007 18:20, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> If you're only interested in the movie and only one language, you can
>> also reencode the video, where you have to specify one language and even
>> a subtitle (if you're going to burn it in).
>
> I just want the movie in a given audio language, with a given subtitle
> language. I will then compress it to another format (No matter what for the
> moment)
>
>> If you want to retain
>> multi-language and subtitles-on-demand,
>
> I dont want that.
Then use:

mplayer dvd://whatever -dumpstream

mencoder stream.dump -o filename.avi -aid xxx -sid yyy -oac lavc -ovc
lavc -lavcopts abitrate=128:vbitrate=1500

or something like this (you may also want to use other video codecs or
tweak around the bitrate etc.

One problem still remains: if you specify a subtitle, the subtitles will
be burnt into the image and cannot be removed from the resulting avi.
Use other containers for this task. If you don't mind having the
subtitles, then the command above will do just fine.