[MPlayer-users] Re: Minimal hw config for h264 720p ?

Dave Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Fri Feb 2 21:28:47 CET 2007

So the features that are offered in the different containers don't make for more overhead?  That is great!

Is the performance and picture worth the extra work?  Anyone have any stats/pics/etc?

RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote: On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 06:30:16 -0800 (PST)
Dave Henderson  wrote:

> Is it just that h264 takes that much horsepower to decode the mpeg4
> versus dvd player's mpeg2?

Yes.  h.264 is incredibly CPU-intensive, compared to most other video
codecs.

While h.264 is technically MPEG-4 part10, most people that say MPEG-4
are talking about MPEG-4 part 2 (Divx/Xvid/FMP4/etc.).  MPEG-4 is better
than MPEG-2, and not as CPU-intensive as h.264.

> Should I have gone with another video container instead of the mkv?

The container hardly matters.  The video codec makes all the difference.

an