[MPlayer-users] thumbnail from a SWF / VP6

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Wed Feb 7 18:32:02 CET 2007

You're not right in your understanding of SWF file format.

In fact it embeds just the same frame sequence as FLV file contains. The
only difference is that audio is separated from video as different SWF tags.
Moreover, it is obvious, that each frame can't contain a keyframe, otherwise
what would be VP6 codec used for? Keyframe is just a kind of JPEG, don't you
know? Any MPEG-style video codec's main goal is just to insert as many
interfarames as it can to maintain good picture quality.

It is another aspect of this issue, that FlashPlayer "knows" how to show
N-th frame, when you tell him to go to a frame N, regardless to the video
portion kind (interframe/keyframe) it contains. To resolve your issue I'd
suggest to use a software tool, playing with SWF, but not a tool, playing
video. If you wish to know more about this topic, please write to me
directly.