[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer : Your system is too SLOW to play this!

Paul Duncan pajduncan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 04:29:21 CET 2007

 <mail <at> kraymer.de> writes:

> > Hi Sebastian,
> >
> >> Depending on your machine the x11 driver should be fast enough to play
> >> a  dvd anyway.
> >
> > I've fixed the slow video playback issue after finding Solaris 10 x86
> > video drivers at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
> >
> > Once I installed these and ran nvidia-settings, the playback was much
> > improved.
>
> > After installing the drivers, fullscreen mode played the video inside a
> >  black framed box, and to get full screen, I used
> > % gmplayer -zoom -x 2 -y 2
> > and then set the aspect to 4:3.
>
> Believe me, you still want to get Xv output driver. This will improve
> performance even more, especially because you won't have to workaround the
> fullscreen issue with -zoom (software scaling, slow).

Hi Sebastian,

I managed to get mplayer to compile with the Xv driver on Solaris 10 x86 with
the following. The Xv files are already included in the SUNWXorg-client package,
they just need to be added to configure so it finds them.

x86(root)# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-gui \
--with-codecsdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs \
--with-gtk-config=/usr/sfw/bin/gtk-config\
--with-glib-config=/usr/sfw/bin/glib-config\
--with-extraincdir=/usr/X11R6/include\     # to find Xvlib.h
--with-extralibdir=/usr/X11R6/lib\	   # to find libXv.so/.so.1
--enable-dvdread

I had to vi config.mak and take out a -rdynamic option.
x86(root)# gmake
x86(root)# gmake install

Then when I ran mplayer I got
mplayer: fatal: libXv.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

which goes away once you add /usr/X11R6/lib/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /.profile and
export it.

x86(root)# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/X11R6/lib/			# to find libGL.so.1 & libVx.so.1

Cheers
Paul