[MPlayer-users] portable video format?

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Feb 12 10:09:19 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 07:52:17PM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> I've been trying with mencoder 1.0-rc1-4.1.2 to make a widely compatible
> video for my web site and have struck out.
>
> My goal was to post a video that would come up for almost any XP or Linux
> user.  I've done a lot of reading and testing, but apparently not enough.  I
> made 7 test videos as follows:
>
>   test0.avi:  MPEG-4 codec, AVI container

Use msmpeg4v2 if you want it to work on a default XP install.

>   test1.mpg:  MPEG-1 codec, MPG container

Should work in windows media player and quicktime if done right.

>   test3.asf:  WMV1 codec, ASF container (Windows Media Video, v1)
>   test4.asf:  WMV2 codec, ASF container (Windows Media Video, v2)

These two should work (though there are some wmv2 encoder bugs that make
the video skippy sometimes), if not you probably did something wrong
while encoding. You really should have given the command-lines you used.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger