[MPlayer-users] portable video format?

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:36:48 CET 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:13:55PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >> test1.mpg:  MPEG-1 codec, MPG container
> >> mencoder /dev/dvd -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video \
> >>   -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1 -endpos 10 -o test1.mpg
> >
> >The (current) proper way to make MPEG1 playable with windows is:
> >
> >mencoder /dev/dvd -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -of lavf \
> >-lavfopts format=mpg:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames \
> >-endpos 10 -o test1.mpg
> >
> >You should also scale the video because the m$ player ignores totally the
> >aspect ratio and plays the video unscaled.
> >

> what happens with -of mpeg?

Windows media player does not play it (we are talking about a default windows
installation without any particular codec installed).
It complains with: unable to find a combination of filters for the rendering
or something like that.

Another possibility is to use -of mpeg but then you have to remux with mplex.
(if you need to use bframes for example).

Giacomo