[MPlayer-users] Feature suggestion and/or request

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Feb 14 15:19:22 CET 2007

Thus far I have managed to catalog all my DVDs with the exact aspect
ratio using a patched-up version of the cropdetect filter. As it is
bothersome to patch it anew everytime I fetch an update, I think it
would be useful to others and fit quite well in

What I did until now was inserting these lines in vf_cropdetect.c (at
the end of function put_image)

float ratio = ((float)(vf->priv->x2 - vf->priv->x1 + 1))/
               ((float)(vf->priv->y2 - vf->priv->y1 + 1));

float factor = 1.06666666;

printf("ratio = %.2f:1\n", ratio * factor);

At this point, factor can be one of four different ones: for
non-anamorphic PAL DVDs 1.0666666, for anamorphic PAL DVDs 1.4222222222,
for non-anamorphic NTSC DVDs 0.8888888 and for anamorphic NTSC DVDs it
should be 1.18611111. Besides providing the factor manually, it could
also easily calculated from the given resoltion and the given aspect.

suggestion: -vf aspectdetect does the same as cropdetect, but outputs
only the current aspect ratio.

(Of course there should be measures for movies with only half the width
and full height, though I have only encountered one such DVD with a
bonus feature in this resolution)

Another suggestion is the inclusion of a -truespeed or -24fps switch,
which plays PAL DVDs at 24 frames (as with the -speed 0.96 option) and
leaves NTSC content untouched. The downpitched sound for PAL when
playing @ 24fps is also welcome, as most movies are not pitch-corrected
when converting to PAL, so the correct sound pitch would be given only
after playing it at 24 frames. And in such rare cases where a pitch
correction has been made, there's still this audio plugin I seem to have
forgotten about (never tried to use it.)

cheers,
Alex