[MPlayer-users] portable video format?

info at danielerossi.net info at danielerossi.net
Wed Feb 14 16:05:06 CET 2007

> Good idea, but it has three problems. First: I don't think there's a
> way to auto-run an OS X app or a Linux app from a CD. Second: if the
> distribution method is the internet, the point is moot. Third: your
> average winblows user is going to be confused to hell trying to use
> MPlayer, or even how to figure it out. As blashphemous as this sounds,
> portable VLC might actually be a better idea.
Also VLC is a good way. And you can put on version of portable vlc for
windows and the one for Mac on same cd...
for reading on almost any computer...

Maybe Mplayer handles subtitles in a better way and is more customable
(aspect ratio and so on ...)

> FLV and SWF are a little different, and I beg to differ on that being
> a good idea at all. I HATE FLVs. They require the use of h.263, which
> isn't perfectly suited to your average video. Your audio quality is
> also inferior. Playing inside a web browser means additional CPU
> cycles are expended on the browser, and the FLV only works when
> embedded. Stand-alone Flash players refuse to make FLVs work, which is
> totally insane. It's just a bad idea.
Sure you are right about the quality. But average customer have
macromedia player even if don't know that....

>> 3. (too difficult for me, and maybe not possible) create a "self
>> executable file" (i.e. a "Projector") with mplayer.
> That is, in my opinion, almost worse than the last suggestion.
> Projectors lock you into one architecture with one operating system.
> God forbid a stray OS X or Linux or BSD user wander into this guy's
> website and want to see the videos. Oops! You don't have Windows!
> Sorry, you're out of luck. Well, to be perfectly honest, there's too
> much of that already.

Is that a dream having a projector platform indipendent??? probably yes,
but would be very useful...
I hate windows as well, but I have to use it....

> P.S. Please don't top-post. It's considered bad form.

i didn't know. I will follow your suggestion.

Regards DR