[MPlayer-users] mencoder, x264, vorbis, matroska - bad a/v sync problems

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Feb 14 16:55:12 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:01:08 -0600
matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> mplayer dvd://1 -ao pcm:fast:file=audio.wav -vc dummy -aid 128 -vo
> null

You might try -vc null .

> normalize audio.wav

I wouldn't recomend that.  vorbisgain will accomplish the same thing,
losslessly. (I don't specifically know if those gain tags will be copied
over into an MKV)

>     ds=auto:pass=1:turbo=1:bframes=4:b_pyramid:weight_b \ -idx -ofps

I would at least try it once with bframes=0 instead.

>    -vf pullup,softskip,pp=ac,hqdn3d=2:1:2,harddup \

You really should have hqdn3d before softskip (shouldn't affect sync
though).

> avi2raw video.avi video.h264
> MP4Box -fps 23.97602 -add video.h264 video.mp4

I definately don't do that...  I always mux straight from the AVI.  Your
framerate certainly doesn't seem accurate, either.

Of course you could always try muxing with ffmpeg/mpeg4ip instead.

> The resulting mkv was perfectly in sync for the first 10 minutes or
> so, then got off by maybe 0.5--1.0 seconds.

The big question:  Are you sure the ENCODING is causing the desync?
Perhaps MPlayer is the problem, introducing desync when playing it
back...