[MPlayer-users] Re: Minimal hw config for h264 720p ?

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 15:45:33 CET 2007

On Sunday 18 Feb 2007, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>>> I currently have an AMD XP3200, and viewing these kind of video (with
>>> XV on a radeon 9200) is very difficult: I have to stop all running
>>> daemons to be able to have "relatively" smooth video.
>> Instead of XV try SDL or GL2
> Sdl gives more or less the same result as XV. GL2 is much worse.

When you tested -vo gl2 (or gl), did you try specifying the 'yuv' suboption? I
also use an Athlon XP 3200+, with a Radeon X850XT, and plain gl/gl2 is very
slow because the CPU has to convert the video to RGB for display. When I
specify -vo gl2:yuv=4 it is as fast as xv because it offloads the conversion
to the graphics card. (It is also better-quality - the YUV scaler used by xv
seems to be unable to scale to 1600 width and shows distinct "jaggies".)

Unfortunately, I get a lot of 'tearing', even with non-HD content. I've tried
enabling VSYNC synchronisation in xorg.conf but it has no effect, and the ATI
fglrx drivers don't support the GLX_SGI_swap_control extension that MPlayer
uses to synchronise output so I can't use the 'swapinterval' suboption.

Regards,
Stephen