[MPlayer-users] How to find "technical differences" in MPEG?

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Tue Feb 20 04:12:10 CET 2007

> Videos are based on the frame-rate, not the bitrate.  (In a PAL
> country) no matter how fast you read the data, there's
> no way you can actually output more than 25 FPS (on a TV).

Sounds logical, okay you have 25fps and (for PAL) 720x576  pixels. I assume further that there is a given colour depth, that way I have a fixed amount of bits I have to read per second. Reading faster would fill the buffer, reading slower will stop the movie for a short time (if the buffer is empty). So why do I need different bit rates?

Secondly, what does a settop DVD recorder vary for the different recodring modes? (e.g. on one DVD either 1 hour or 4 hours of movie)

Thanks!
K.