[MPlayer-users] Finding the peak level in an audio track

Csaba Halász csaba.halasz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:00:56 CET 2007

On 2/26/07, Richard Bromley <rbromley256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought this would be a reasonably appropriate place to ask this.
>
> Can anyone describe an easy way to find the peak audio level in a PCM
> (.wav) file? I intend to use this after having dumped the LFE track of
> a Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack to a .wav file using -ao pcm, so
> that I can optimize the output level to my subwoofer, by adjusting the
> software mixer volume.

man mplayer

-vf volume[=v[:sc]]
              Implements  software volume control.  ...
              This  filter  has a second feature: It measures the
overall maximum sound level and prints out that level when
              MPlayer exits.  This volume estimate can be used for
setting the sound level in MEncoder such that the maximum
              dynamic range is utilized.

--
HCS