[MPlayer-users] Help with stuttering problem

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Mon Feb 26 22:19:50 CET 2007

I've some across a weird problem and was hoping to find some guidance.
I recently built a Pentium3/800 machines.  It originally had an ATI
Rage 128 AGP card.  It has a Via MVP3/Apollo 133Pro chipset using
onboard sound.  I installed a stock version of openSuSE v10.2 and
installed and compiled nasm, flac, lame, xvid, x264, and then mplayer.
When I try to play a file, xvid, dvd, etc, the system stutters about
every 2 seconds for about .1-.2 seconds.  I replaced the ATI card with
a GeForce2 MX 200(with the nVidia driver), replaced the onboard audio
with a Sound blaster, and nothing seems to make it smooth.  I regularly
watch XviDs and x264s on my Pentium 500Mhz system, so it should be fast
enough.  I don't get the "your system is too slow to play this".  I've
tried 32bit and 16bit color.  I used the mplayer svn from last night.
I tired using different video out options as well.  Nothing seems to
work to smooth the playback.  I even tried -framedrop and it didn't

Any ideas?  I don't have anything else configured yet, so I can't say
it's only an mplayer problem.  Thanx