[MPlayer-users] Problem playing certain files through xv

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:26:37 CET 2007

> > X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)?,?% 0 0 95%
>
> Obviously the problem.  It's unfortunate that MPlayer crashes instead of
> exiting properly, but you really can't expect MPlayer to be able to
> exceed the limitations of your video hardware (or workaround driver or
> X11 bugs if that is the case here).

I figured this was the case, but was unsure because of mplayer crashing.

> > Intel 855 with up to 64MB of shared memory
> > dri enabled
>
> If you have it set to only use a small ammount of shared video memory,
> you can try increasing it in the BIOS.

My bios has no options to set a specific amount of memory. I tried
going through the mtrr setup in the documentation, but am unsure how
to proceed with it being shared memory. Currently agpgart gets 16MB of
stolen memory. I am assuming in windows the driver is able to change
this. Is there a way to do this in linux?

jbhansen at therapist:~$ dmesg | grep agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 855 Chipset.
agpgart: Detected 16252K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe8000000

jbhansen at therapist:~$ cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0x1ef00000 ( 495MB), size=   1MB: uncachable, count=1
reg02: base=0x1f000000 ( 496MB), size=  16MB: uncachable, count=1
reg03: base=0xe8000000 (3712MB), size= 128MB: write-combining, count=1

I have been working with some forums on trying to get it to work
properly and am unable to do so. One of them suggested I try these
lists, although I realize this goes beyond the mplayer program itself.

Jeremy