[MPlayer-users] Videos are too bright

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jan 6 14:55:34 CET 2007

Tom Poe wrote:

> RC wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:36:16 -0500 The Wanderer
>> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> You never know who else might find the information useful,
>>> particularly when searching mailing list archives in the future.
>>
>> You should know (as well as anybody) that nobody ever searches the
>> mailing list archives before asking questions anyhow...
>
> Rats!!  I just searched the archives to see how the bright control
> works, as so many of the videos I watch (such as Democracy Now!) come
> across really dark.  Does anyone have any suggestions about what key
> words I could use to focus in on this issue?

What you want is not the archives but the manual; search for the
'-brightness' option. A value of zero doesn't change the brightness,
negative values make the video darker, positive values make the video
brighter.

FWIW, I frequently encounter this problem myself (although infrequently
enough, and in enough of a pattern WRT the origin of the videos, that I
think it's a problem with the source files rather than with MPlayer). I
usually find that a -brightness value of 10 - that is, a 10& increase in
brightness - is too much; 7 or 8 is usually the sweet spot in my
experience. You should, however, experiment to find what works for you.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.