[MPlayer-users] supression of the console output

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Jan 6 22:43:57 CET 2007

Gerhard P.Herbig wrote:
>> MPlayer usually spits out a few messages to stderr. I get the idea
>> you're using Windows, which, I think, handles redirection correctly. Either:
>> ... &> nul
>> -or-
>> ... > nul 2>&1
>
>> Does that answer your question?
>

> Not really:
> Yes, with your hints, nothing was written to the console window
> (only the command itself will be repeated), but the console window is
> created anyway and you can see the window a fraction of time before the
> movie starts.
>
> Please think of the following situation:
> At first, a beamer will show a total black image.
> Then, the movie will be started from a remote client computer via TCP/IP.
>
> And now, before the movie will start, the audience will see a fraction of time
> this console window (empty or not) - that is unwanted.
>
> So, it would be helped, if this console window can be a) totally switched off,
> or b) created minimized.

Ah. I see now, but I don't know what you can do. I don't know much about
Windows. On Unix, this sort of thing is a non-issue--mplayer doesn't
ever spawn a terminal window; you can run it from a terminal or any
other way, depending on what you need.

If nobody jumps in on this thread with an idea, you can try posting to
the mplayer-cygwin list; you may have better luck there.

-Corey