[MPlayer-users] ASS/SSA subtitle support

thyme pancakes newsbought at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 12:50:20 CET 2007

Thanks for the help.

I've tried the things you suggested and here are the results.
config command:
----------------------------
./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
--with-extraincdir=/usr/X11R6/include/ \
--with-extralibdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/ \
--with-freetype-config=/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config
-----------------------------
config log:
-----------------------------
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... yes
Checking for fontconfig ... yes
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType >= 2.1.8 needed)
-----------------------------
setion of config where it's failing, line 5448:
-----------------------------
int main() { return 0; }
EOF
    _ass=no
    cc_check `$_freetypeconfig --cflags` `$_freetypeconfig --libs` &&
tmp_run &$
    if test "$_ass" = no ; then
        _res_comment="FreeType >= 2.1.8 needed"
    fi
-----------------------------
I've tried installing a newer version of freetype and changeing the
configure parameters to reflect that.
the output of /usr/local/bin/freetype-config --ftversion:
-----------------------------
2.2.1
-----------------------------
config command:
----------------------------
./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
--with-extraincdir=/usr/local/include \
--with-extralibdir=/usr/local/lib \
--with-freetype-config=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config
-----------------------------
config log:
-----------------------------
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... no
Checking for fontconfig ... no (freetype support needed)
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType support needed)
-----------------------------
This is the same result as when I take out the lib and include directives
(which I think are not needed because mencoder links to lame (in the same
locale) without them) and use this command:
-----------------------------
./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
--with-freetype-config=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config
-----------------------------

I'm not sure if I should try overwriting the systems old freetype with the
new free type, since I tried that once and it changed the result to
-----------------------------
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... no
Checking for fontconfig ... no (freetype support needed)
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType support needed)
-----------------------------
while hosing xterm forcing me to reinstall xwindows. Not fun.

Especially since, according to my headers and lib version from the straight
X11R6 version, I don't have anything wrong with my setup.
test code:
-----------------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <ft2build.h>
#include FT_FREETYPE_H
#if ((FREETYPE_MAJOR < 2) || ((FREETYPE_MINOR == 0) && (FREETYPE_PATCH <
9)))
#error "Need FreeType 2.0.9 or newer"
#endif
int main()
{
    FT_Library library;
    FT_Int major=-1,minor=-1,patch=-1;
    int err=FT_Init_FreeType(&library);

    if(err){
        printf("Couldn't initialize freetype2 lib, err code: %d\n",err);
        exit(err);
    }
    FT_Library_Version(library,&major,&minor,&patch); /* in v2.1.0+ only
:(((*/
    printf("freetype2  header version: %d.%d.%d  library version:
%d.%d.%d\n",
        FREETYPE_MAJOR,FREETYPE_MINOR,FREETYPE_PATCH,
        (int)major,(int)minor,(int)patch );
return 0;
}
-----------------------------
compile command:
-----------------------------
cc fttest.c `/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --cflags`
`/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --libs`
a.out output:
freetype2  header version: 2.1.0  library version: 2.1.0
So why configure is telling me :
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType >= 2.1.8 needed)
I don't know.

End of the rope here.. Any ideas?