[MPlayer-users] Widescreen Question (To scale or not scale)

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Sun Jan 7 20:48:41 CET 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 3:28 pm, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> the best way to optimize quality is: crop all black bands,

Hello Nico.  I have a couple of questions here...   I haven't seen any
widescreen DVD on my computer that had black bands (top & down bars).  Are
there any DVD's out there with these bars on the actual video?

I'm learning to encode etc...I'm kind of a newbie here but I know the reason
behind the black bars when you play them on TV (lower resolution)...but I'm
now wondering..why would they author a DVD with the black bars on them?

> avoid rescaling

OK

> and embed the modified aspect ratio in the avi header (automatic)

I have cropped the black bars on videos I have downloaded and I have noticed
that the mencoder takes care of the modified aspect ratio...so is it that we
only need to specify aspect ratio when you don't crop or rescale? I remember
when I first encoded a widescreen DVD..when I played it back it look horrible
(compressed horizontally...). I didn't know it wasn't until playback that it
was stretched..but then I learned something on the header of the file must
tell the player the aspect ratio....

All the best,
Jorge