[MPlayer-users] why nobody answers this question? Is it a little stupid?

PO x75 at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 14 05:44:28 CET 2007

jeffoamy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that to play one video, we have to loading first the
> video file into the buffer. After that,we synchronize
> everything to the audio. Does it mean the real length of one
> video is the same as the length of his audio?
hi jeffoamy

It's been my experience with mplayer that with broken video it tries to
sync audio as best it can until it runs out of audio, most of the time
it will keep playing without audio provided the video stream is not
trashed beyond readable. On a GOOD vid, the audio is usually (not
always) the same length as the video.
>  Is
> the result of audio decoding always keep the same? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean. A broken vid, even if it's messed audio or
messed video, is still a broken vid. You can try and repair it, but if
parts of either stream are missing or corrupt, chances are slim that the
repair will result in anything better. Try and get a better copy if you can.

And from the subject line of your email, "...a little stupid?" no
question is EVER stupid, just sometimes inappropriate. Most of what you
are asking can be answered by studying on the subject you wish to know
about. Lots out there on audio and video decoding. This is a mailing
list for mplayer/mencoder specific problems, most people here do not
have the time to get into a general discussion on audio/video decoding.

Hope that helps!

BC