[MPlayer-users] Cool feature: A/V Async

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Mon Jan 15 18:41:01 CET 2007

Hello group,

first of all, I want to thank the mplayer developers for the great piece
of work they've achieved with MPlayer. It's truly the most powerful,
awesome player I've ever seen. I'm spreading the word :-)

I've thought of a nice feature which would probably be quite easy to
implement. You all know these videos where audio and video runs
asynchronously. This is incredibly annoying. So you can adjust the A/V
sync in MPlayer with the "Audio Delay".

I seem, however, not to be the only one incapable of getting it right. I
never know which delay is positive and which is negative... so I start
screwing around with the delay until it looks somewhat right - but it
still looks weird.

My solution: there could be two commands be defined for
"syncpoint_audio" and "syncpoint_video" which could be bound to two keys
(e.g. 'A' and 'V'). When the user notices there's A/V async, he waits
for a nice "sync point", e.g. a clapping door or explosion. When he
*sees* the door close, he presses the syncpoint_video key. When he
*hears* the door close, he presses syncpoint_audio. As soon as the
syncpoints are together, mplayer calculates the time difference and sets
the delay accordingly.

This would be an nice, useful feature IMHO, easy to implement and I
don't currently know of any players which support that.

Any comments welcome.

Greetings and keep up the awesome work,
Johannes