[MPlayer-users] Idea for backwards frame seek

Chris Stratton cs11102 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 03:54:42 CET 2007

> I'd like a way to smoothly frame seek forward and
> backwards in arbitrary video sources over a range of
> a few seconds, as I do a lot of sports movement
> study.
<snip>
> What I was thinking is that instead of the rather
> inelegant seek back to previous i-frame and then
> reconstruct forward method used by most players
> which feature frame rewind, what about retaining a
> history of decompressed frames in a circular buffer?

Just wanted to mention that I actually have this
preliminarily working.

I hacked up libvo/vo_directx.c to, in "noaccel" mode,
malloc memory for a circular buffer of 300
uncompressed YV12 frames and then added tempory
control keys to step forwards and backwards through
this.

It's full of bugs, dangerous pitfalls, and 300 frames
is too many at DVD resolution, but it does actually
work and I will already be making use of it.

I'm going to try to make it a little more robust for
my own use, probably try to add it as a command line
option with variable buffer size.

I'm not sure what would be inovled in making it "real"
- one area that would need a lot of thought is how the
buffer frame advance/rewind controls should interact
with mplayer seek controls - right now, you shouldn't
use them except when mplayer thinks it's paused.