[MPlayer-users] author stream.dump

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 22 02:46:28 CET 2007

This may seem slightly off topic, but it does involve mplayer, so I'll ask
it here.

The short question is how do I convert a stream.dump created by mplayer to
something that can be used by dvdauthor?

The "file" command says:

file stream.dump
stream.dump: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

so I took a shot in the dark and I did

dvdauthor -t -c `cat chapters` -o dvd stream.dump

and I get this:

DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.13.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype fribidi
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing stream.dump...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
ERR:  SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.

Doing a search on google I learned that there have to be some empty
packets in the stream, or some such, and I also found another solution:

mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile video stream.dump
mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio stream.dump
mplex -f 8 audio video out%0d.mpg
dvdauthor -t -c `cat chapters` -o dvd out*.mpg
dvdauthor -T -o dvd

That seems to work but there's a 10 second delay between audio and video.
Regardless, splitting the audio and video formats only to put them back
together seems unnatural at least.

Is there a way to convert stream.dump using mplayer/mencoder to something
usable by dvdauthor?

Thanks!